Grow your Readership with These Tips for a Better Blog
I’m sure you have read a blog or two, and unless you are completely disconnected from the online world, I’m sure you’ve heard that blogs can be a great marketing tool for your business. But, with more than 4 million blogs being posted every day, how do you reach potential customers and grow your readership?
Here are a few tips to build a better blog:
- What is the purpose of your blog? Are you simply providing information for your readers? Are you trying to grow your business? Do you want your readers to do something – sign up for your newsletter, purchase your product or just enjoy your writing? Don’t just write to write. Knowing what you want to accomplish through your blog will keep your writing focused.
- Be yourself. Let your personality shine through your blog.
- Write all the time. Write things to post on your website. Create a rough draft of posts you may publish at a later date. Write things you have no intention of making public. The more you write, the more practice you get and the better your writing becomes.
- Engage with your readers. Ask them questions, and when they answer, be sure to respond. This makes you real. It makes you more than just a headshot on a webpage.
- Blogging is an investment in your business, and like all investments, it takes time to see the return on your efforts. Stick with it.
- Keep your blogs short. Most bloggers discover their shorter blogs get more engagement than their longer blogs. If you have a topic that requires a lot of information, break it up. Perhaps, you can take that long blog and spread the topic out over two or more shorter blogs.
- Check your work. Have a second set of eyes review your blog before it is published. Small mistakes will be distracting to your readers. Big mistakes will turn them away from your blog and your business.
- Promote it! The idea of build it (or in this case write it), and they will come doesn’t work. You have to promote your blog so others will find it. Use your social media channels to announce new posts and drive traffic to your website. Get creative. Find other ways to let people know your blog exists.
- Be consistent. How many times have you been excited to follow a blog only to read one post and never see another article by that author? When you announce that you are blogging, your readers expect to see new material consistently. Whether it is once a week or twice a month, determine what your publishing schedule is going to be and stick to it. Readers will appreciate knowing when to expect new material. Plus, if you aren’t publishing new material regularly, readers (a.k.a. potential customers) will lose interest in your company.
Following these few simple steps can help grow your blog readership and ultimately grow your business.
If you need a second set of eyes to review your blog, contact me. I have a blog editing program that will ensure your blogs are the best they can be. Click here for more information about it.